Paralegal Post of the Week:

Written by Lancaster and Eure

If I am in an auto accident, how do I go about getting my car repaired?

If you did not cause the accident, the answers often depends upon the at-fault driver.  If the at-fault driver does not have insurance, you can file a lawsuit for the repair costs. You would file the lawsuit against the person that caused the accident. But you have to win a judgment and then enforce the judgment. This can be a long and time-consuming and there is no guarantee it will work.  Or you can file a claim through your own insurance company but you will have to pay your deductible.

If the at-fault driver has insurance you can have the at-fault driver’s insurance company repair your vehicle but must stay on top of the repair shop to make sure that the repairs are completed within the relatively short time period in which your rental car is covered.

If you caused the accident, you need to submit a claim with your insurance company.

You will have to pay whatever deductible applies to your policy.  If the damage is small, then the repair may be less than your deductible. You can fix it yourself or pay someone.