Paralegal Post of the Week:

Written by Lancaster and Eure

If I cannot work because of my auto accident related injuries, who pays my lost wages?

Under Florida PIP laws, the insurance every driver is required to have in the state of Florida, you are entitled to receive 60% of your lost wages regardless of who was at-fault for the car accident. If you were hurt because of another driver’s negligence, the other driver must pay for the remaining 40% of lost wages from their insurance policy.

To obtain lost wage compensation you must fill out a series of forms demonstrating that you are not allowed to work due to the injuries from the auto accident.  Here are a few of the things you will typically need to provide.

  • Proof of income– This can come from a paycheck or a pay-stub.
  • Proof from your doctor– Your doctor will have to attest to the fact that you are not able to work because of your injuries.
  • Proof from your employer– Your employer must complete a Wage & Salary Verification Form to provide to the insurance company.